Sunday, September 30, 2012

Playroom Make-over Stage 1

{Olivia is 37 months old, Preston is 6 mos old}
   Tot School

 Well I am doing my best at jumping back into the blogging thing. :) Last week we did Confessions of a Homeschooler's Letter of the Week activities for "A".  Letter of the Week I think it is just a bit over Livy's head. She understands "A" and the sound..but the activities (size sorting/puzzles/etc) were hard for her and she didn't want to do them. So I've looked around at other approaches I can take. She will have 2 more years at home with me after this year before Kindergarten, so we aren't in any rush. I am very interested in the Montessori approach, and tried to really pair down our playroom so it would be a much more calm and inviting place for the kids. I purchased a Montessori curriculum and should be getting the link for it tomorrow. Very excited about that! Here is where I got the curriculum: Montessori  I ordered the age 0-6..so I can try it with all 3 kids. Makenna LOVES coming home and doing more schoolwork after Kindergarten! If I don't have a tot/kinder pack or printables waiting for her, she is disappointed! Here is what we worked on this week. 



Presenting the Rice Pouring activity to her...she was very intrigued. We've done rice sensory boxes before and she has always enjoyed those.




My sweet happy little boy! Livy is painting pumpkins.


 
Digging in our nature box


Okay.. this is the "BEFORE" pic...I can't wait to get it all done. I'm having so much fun searching pinterest for Montessori-themed/inspirited play and learning spaces. I'm tired of it looked like this.




Livy LOVED helping me spray down (we use CJ's all natural cleaner...cjsewingroom.com, her scents are FAB) the furniture. I took down all the pics on the wall too, it gave it a much more cleaner feel. The bookshelves will be used for learning material/baskets. You can see the play kitchen and table area. Still have a long ways to go before I get it how I want it.



Mr. Smiley :) He ended up with the mat over his head and backed part way under the train table on his own... 


In the new reading nook! The chest next to it was made by my Father-in-law and is perfect for toy storage (things that will be rotated out).

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you will really enjoy the Montessori approach in your home. Thanks for linking up to Tot School! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your nature box idea! I hope you'll link up this post to Tot School Tuesday on See Vanessa Craft: http://seevanessacraft.com/2012/10/tot-school-tuesday-little-blue-truck-sensory-play/

    ReplyDelete