Saturday, January 11, 2014

A fun new Sensory material!

Birthday Cake Dough

I saw this awesome idea on the Growing a Jeweled Rose site. You basically take a box of cake mix and dump it into your Sensory bin and viola! It has the consistency of Moon Dough. It crumbles like sand but you can form it like dough. Super cool! I had a box of Yellow Cake Mix and set out green sugar and chocolate sprinkles. O thought it was really neat and played with it for hours!

Using a deep container worked great for containing the mess
We got out our cake molding set ( Imaginarium brand from Toys R Us) and it was perfect. O made sparkly birthday cakes and used wooden candles from our Melissa and Doug Cupcake Set.

A paintbrush was perfect for dipping in the sanding sugar and patting onto the cakes.

Really fun!

Later, O asked me what would happen if she added water. I said, "Let's find out!". I put a small amount in a separate container so we could reuse the remaining material for another time.

I gave her a cup of water and a dropper.

The water mixture turned green from the sugar sprinkles and became pasty. O added more sprinkles and then asked for ice cubes. She said it was oatmeal! We both agreed it looked pretty yucky! 

We are eager to try different cake mixes! The "dough" had a wonderful smell to it of course! Smelled like butter.  

See the Linky Party! and also joining The Weekly Kids Co-op!
ICanTeachMyChild.com

No comments:

Post a Comment