Sunday, February 13, 2011

"H" week of Play and Learning

Color: Blue
Number: 3
Letter: Hh
Word: and
Shape: Triangle
Bible Verse: Honor your Father and your Mother. Exodus 20:12


{Makenna is currently 42.5 months}

Tot School
   {Livy is almost 18 mos old} 

Here is a picture of our learning board this week

The printables are from the RRS curriculum found here. I take the basket and go around the house with the girls to find things that start with the letter of the week. My favorite item we picked out was a pig...for HAM...haha. :) I like to have everything set out to build the excitement for the week, the girls can't keep their hands of it and look forward to school!

 My girls being silly! I just love capturing real "life" moments. :)

 Much of the week for Makenna was spent dressed in her old Halloween costume. Livy ate a ton of bananas this week...she would stuff them in her mouth and make the funniest faces!

 Time spent with Daddy! They are both SUCH Daddy's girls!

 Makenna LOVES when her Uncle Dan comes over to play. This week he brought his guitar and showed the girls how to play. Makenna was very excited and talked about it for awhile. :)

 Livy's turn!

Calender time. We sing the Learing Songs
from the Homeschool Creations site about the months and days of the year.

 Sideways picture, but working on sticking the Popsicle sticks in one of those bottle parts dishwasher thing. They enjoyed this.


 Reading book from the library (emphasis this week on shapes with Livy).


 I went upstairs to take care of Livy, and came back down to see Makenna had gotten out the puffs. 


 Bookshelf of our "workbox" type things. Puzzles, books, blocks, shape sorter. The basket to the right is our "color" basket.

 Creative play in the kitchen. :) I love to have Makenna help me sort the silverware. She loves to help me.


We always have to make something in the kitchen at least once, so we made jello one day. We talk about numbers involved with measuring, and the science of "ingredients".
 Drawing our letter of the week in spilled Jello powder. Makenna was amazed at what happened when the Jello powder got wet. I love her skinny "H". :)


A favorite activity, painting!!

 Making playdough!

 This recipe actually turned out wonderful! I've had trouble with sticky playdough, but this worked very well! A person commented on my blog with the link to a recipe they use: Playdough

 I think the key might have been that I kneaded it for almost 10 minutes after it cooked. It was actually very relaxing as the dough was warm! We made Cherry playdough, with pink food coloring and Cherry extract. It smelled great!

 I've seen this idea on several different blogs and couldn't wait to try! We made playdough cup cakes! The sprinkles are edible...so the girls kept picking them out of the dough to eat when I wasn't looking (good fine motor practice, right? :) ) I got the muffin liners and toppers for about 2$ at Walmart.


 We also made heart playdough "cookies". When Livy woke up from her nap, she was really mad they weren't real cookies to eat!



We took a family trip to Bass Pro. The girls loved seeing the fish tanks and animals!


 Touching a white wolf....Livy wasn't sure what to think!

 They got along really well this week. I was so proud and happy to see them enjoying each other's company! Makenna told me Livy (along with Daddy of course) was her best friend. :)



 Of course I have to end the week with two of my favorite pictures. Miss Makenna Grumpy Girl (who didn't want to leave Bass Pro) and my little Peanut Butter Princess. I gave her a peanut butter cracker, walked back to my seat, sat down, looked up, and she was covered. :)

Other highlights of the week:
-Watching a Barney Valentine movie on netflix
-Particpating in Muffin Tin Monday, Tot Tuesday, Wordless Wednesday, and Thursday stART
-Playing the Wii together 


Linking up with:


    4 comments:

    1. Great idea using the dishwasher bottle basket! Oh and the soda box shoes look too cute!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Loved how you used the popsicle sticks in the dishwasher basket! I bought a bag of colored sticks, but couldn't think of what to do with them. Thanks for the idea!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I'm with the others - the dishwasher basket is fabulous! My Oliver is SO into inserting objects right now, I'll have to think on this a bit (we don't have a dishwasher lol).

      ReplyDelete
    4. I am new here! Would love if you come visit and follow me too! Have a beautiful day! :) Shauna

      ReplyDelete